Please visit this sponsor!!

Thursday, January 6, 2011

TIME TO GO HOME

In lieu of a full-blown military retirement ceremony I have opted to write a short missive to you all. After all, there was no fanfare when I began this journey in June of 1988, and I don’t need any on the way out either. Friday will be my last day on active duty that I will not be on permissive TAD or on leave. Essentially, I will be taking off my uniform for the last time tomorrow.


As I prepare to close this chapter in my life I have something to ask of all of you… Develop yourself daily, not just in your job but in your life. Learn all you can learn. Love all you can love. Make a stranger smile. Make eye contact and say thank you, even if the other person is doing a bad job. Be a mentor. Be a protégé. Hold others accountable, but more importantly hold yourself accountable. Sacrifice for a stranger. Pick up a piece of trash. Read. Take a chance. Grow a plant. Travel. Keep your promises. Listen to your critics, but don’t take it personally. Tell the people you love that you love them. Make your children laugh. Make your lover swoon. Live.

To my fellowship in uniform, let me get the cliché “It’s been an honor to serve with all of you” out of the way, but understand that I mean those words deeply and sincerely. Whatever the branch of service embroidered over your breast pocket, whether you are enlisted or officer, regardless of whether you and I know each other personally, I feel kinship with and pride in each and every one of you. I want to thank all of you for your patriotism and dedication. Whether you serve for four years or forty, the military is a challenging life that requires discipline and sacrifice. You are all heroes to me. From the bottom of my heart I thank you and I salute you for continuing to stand the watch as I hang up my uniform for the last time.

To my brothers and sisters in the mess… thank you. What more can I say to such an incredible collection of people. Stand your ground and fight to keep the Navy an organization of core values, not politics. Police the deckplates inside the mess, as well as outside. And remember… it’s about the people, not the programs.

To my family, I have no words for the pride you have all instilled in me. All of you, whether you think it or not, played a part in helping me successfully navigate my career. I am humbled by the support and praise you have shown me.

And finally, to my wife and children. I love all of you so much. You are the greatest blessing in my life. You have waited patiently as I did what the Navy asked. You have shared my bad days and my long deployments. You have looked at my empty chair at countless dinners. You have celebrated holidays, birthdays and anniversaries not only without me, but without knowing where I was. You have sacrificed every bit as much as I have. I would never have made it without the strength you have given me. Never again will I have to leave behind your smiles and hugs and love. I have waited a long, long time to say this… I’m home.

God bless all of you and God bless America.

5 comments:

  1. Welcome Home Sailor! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael,
    I'm bursting with pride for you as you reach this milestone in your life's journey. I'm so proud that you have dedicated yourself to defending this country that we all love and cherish. I'm also proud that you have been such a wonderful husband and father. When your kids are growing up, you never know for sure what they will choose for their path in life, but you always hope for the best. Looks like I got what I hoped for...the best.
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chief Bing,
    It has been an honor to work with you this last year. I have yet to have a better mentor and friend during my enlistment. You are more then our Chief. Tomorrow the cornerstone and Father fiqure to many in our department and our command goes home for the last time. There will be no more "Morning Bitches" or "Purple". You leave behind gigantic shoes to fill. I'm proud to call you Chief.

    I'll see you online,
    Ghenji A.K.A. Q

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chief,

    I know you told me to call you Mike, but that's never gonna happen. As I'm no longer a member of the Navy, I guess I shouldn't have to, but you've earned your title regardless if you're active or retired. Yes, you paid your dues, passed your tests and board... In my eyes none of that mattered. You've earned it by your actions and dedication to the position, a lesson many can learn from.

    I've always respected that, and for that reason I looked to you as my mentor. After working under your command and seeing the bigger picture, my life in the Navy was not only successful, but something I will always cherish and grow from.

    I wish you and your family the best. I know we'll keep in touch. On a side note, this is the last sappy thing you'll ever hear from me, so enjoy it while it lasts.

    I meant every word of it.

    Thank you for your service and friendship,

    Daniel Brown

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brother,

    Tomorrow the Navy loses one of it's finest from active duty but your example will continue to tread it's deckplates.

    Of all the little things I have to be personally in your debt for, it is for being the quiet voice of "hang in there, there IS more to this than you can see right now" that saved my sanity and for that I cannot thank you enough. I especially hope to be able to pay that one forward some day.

    Wherever the winds of chance send you next, I know you'll prosper as your passion for life will not allow any other outcome. I know you've wrestled with this ending, but new horizons beckon.

    Congratulations to Tina and the rest of the Bing brood on navigating the years of Naval service with you. I wish you all a long and happy retirement.

    Ev

    ReplyDelete