Please visit this sponsor!!

Friday, February 26, 2010

MY LETTER TO SENATOR McCAIN

I sent this to Senator John McCain a few minutes ago...

Senator McCain,

Please let me start by saying thank you for what you've done and continue to do for our nation. You are a good man, and I am proud of what you do. One of my most prized possessions was a letter signed by you thanking me for my service in the first gulf war. Unfortunately it disappeared along with two other boxes of items during a move a few years back, but I appreciated that gesture from you immensely. More than I could ever explain here.

Second, just for the record, although I live in Virginia you are my Senator. I am a Navy Chief of nearly 22 years stationed at NAS Oceana.

The reason for my email is the proposed health care reform plan. Quite frankly, sir, it scares me on multiple levels. For starters, it’s too expensive and as you know a lot of that cost is pork barrel spending. Has anyone calculated the cost to re-engineer the medical system infrastructure? And have any of the Democrats enlightened you on where all this money will come from? I don’t think the government that’s running at a deficit is footing the bill on this one.

Next, I don’t feel that the Constitution allows for this type of control from the government, and I really don’t feel that passing this bill reflects the desires of the majority of Americans.

Finally, I think the plan in its current form is unsound. Granted, I can not know all of the ins and outs, but what I have been able to read sounds flawed. I guess I would equate it to a home damaged by storm or fire. You wouldn’t just pull off the exterior and rebuild on the wrecked frame. Anything that is broken has to go, and in some instances that might even mean pouring a new foundation to build a new frame upon.

That’s where we are at, sir. I don’t think there any Americans truly opposed to reforming our health care system. I do think, however, that what we are trying to do now is to build on a weakened frame that’s sitting on a questionable foundation.

Let’s reform health care, but let’s do it right. Let’s take it down to studs, inspect it, and, if necessary, tear it to the ground and rebuild from there. I am made uneasy by the Liberals’ impatience to get this thing passed. It kind of has the feel of the car salesman that keeps pressuring you to sign the contract, but doesn’t want you to read it.

In closing, I just want to applaud you for your composure during the President’s shot at you during the summit with regards to the election being over. Your point was valid, and the President’s continual side-stepping of valid debates is another concern. He’s in too much of a hurry… but why? That’s a topic for another letter.

I have written a little more on this subject at http://jshrimp.blogspot.com/2010/02/obamas-health-care-reform.html (there is nothing inflammatory at this site).

I thank you for your time, sir. Keep fighting the good fight.

Very respectfully,


So reader, here is my question to you...

Whether you are for or against health care reform, have you reached out to Congress? The voting booth isn't the only place you have a voice.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I have here in Florida I send e-mail all the time But as you my Gov. Chris what a idiot. THe Sen. nothing either but I keep trying. Now our congreeman Vern Buchanan is another story. He does get back to me and is a very nice person. I think he is trying hard. I give my two cenets when ever I can. Can't vote to vote that is for sure. mamajo

    ReplyDelete